Re: SEUL: PLZ: Watch what you say

On Wed, 14 Jan 1998, Erik Walthinsen wrote:

> There have been some posts to other lists in which assertions about our
> plans have been made.  I don't want to hit anyone over the head, but
> simply point out that we have made *very* *few* decisions so far.  Those
> that have been made are still under discussion, and subject to change

*sigh*  I have no apologies.  When I reply, I use reply to all.  If
someone sets a reply-to: header or crossposts to their own mailing list,
they should not complain when they get replies.

> Please, when you post or cross-post to an "external" group, don't tell
> them that we are unequivocally doing something when it hasn't been
> "officially"  decided either way.  As of now, *nothing* has been

I thought that we had made some official decisions.  For example, that we
would be using RedHat as a base at least until the core became ready (if
the idea of a core flies at all); that we would be using sendmail instead
of smail or qmail; that all our software would be free.

We have to make these decisions.  We can't make decisions, then backtrack
two weeks later.  Once a decision has been made it should be stuck with
unless there's a good reason to unstick.  Things like "I think we'll
switch to debian now" are simply not going to do.

Granted, backtracking before any real work has been done isn't too
harmful.  But as you said... look at all the confusion it causes!

Also, if major decisions like this are made, they need to be posted on the
mailing list so everyone knows it...