Re: SEUL: Interest abounding...

On Fri, 16 Jan 1998, Kai Wetzel wrote:

> IMHO it's better to grow more slowly in acceptance
> for now rather then to make promises which people
> may feal we don't reach.  I think that for a while,
> it's very important to spend money on the development
> process of Linux, especially in areas where Linux
> is still a little weak.

If anyone here is expecting Linux to work it's way into the home market
first, I hate to burst your bubble, but...  Those that have seen it, the
articles written about it, etc.  Have already pegged it inline with NT as
competition.  The FIRST place Linux is going to infiltrate is as an
internet server for businesses.  Linux handles it FAR better than NT,
IMHO.  All we really need is an improvement in config utils.

> I think sponsoring Linux conferences, developer
> conferences (similar to "KDE 1"), allowing people
> to live of free software (like the RedHat lab which
> was mentioned here a few days ago), etc. will
> be money better spent rather then paying lots
> of money for expensive ads (just MHO)

A booth at the Las Vegas COMDEX is more useful than 20 at the Linux Expo.
To every succesful product there is 99% appearances and 1% substance.
Win95 is agreed to be an awful OS among many, but why is it so popular?
Does MS have mob connections?  Are they implementing mind control?  I
doubt it.  They have(tada) EXPENSIVE ADVERTISING!  Now, we could try to do
what Borland did with their first peice of software - they couldn't afford
to do a roll-out at COMDEX, so they had it at a nearby McDonald's.  This
stuff can be scrounged with INCREDIBLE effort, and it's more difficult to
make a go of it.  Expensive ads are money well spent.  TTYL!

                            ---
                        Paul Anderson
		   paul @ geeky1.ebtech.net
    Author of Star Spek(a tongue in cheek pun on Star trek)
e-mail: starspek-request@lowdown.com with subscribe as the subject
I hear it's hilarious.               Maintainer of the Tips-HOWTO.
          http://www.netcom.com/~tonyh3/speck.html
The world is coming to an end, please logoff in an orderly fashion.