Re: SEUL: Re: What's the diff to SEUL ?

On Fri, 16 Jan 1998, Rick Jones wrote:

> I think it's rediculous to base an entire
> environment/dis' on on a single set of widgets/lib's, non-free to boot.
> Next year they decide to change the license and it's all over.
> Unuseable.  What then?  Buy the QT package?  Could this be their
> alterior motive to start with?

Very well put.  (conspiracy theory, here we come... :)  I believe that
e-Linux's goal to use KDE/Qt is misguided for the above reasons.  There is
no way to guarantee that Qt will remain available, which sets up the
project (KDE, and thus e-Linux) to be dropped into the bit bucket as soon
as the people at Troll Tech realize there is much money to be made.

I have nothing against Qt/Troll Tech, or commercial development.  I just
think it is pure folly to write an otherwise GPL'd (I think) environment,
un top of a non-free library.

     Erik Walthinsen <omega@seul.org> - SEUL Project system architect
        __
       /  \                SEUL: Simple End-User Linux -
      |    | M E G A            Creating a Linux distribution
      _\  /_                         for the home or office user