Re: SEUL: Re: What's the diff to SEUL ?

George Bonser wrote:

> On Fri, 16 Jan 1998, Erik Walthinsen wrote:
[...]
> My choice would be for fvwm or fvwm2 and goodstuf or fvwm-buttons.

Hmm, while I use fvwm2 and goodstuff (to launch additional
rxvts and show the clock and pager only) I don't really think
fvwm2 is a very good candidate for end-users.  Anyway, I'd
like to discuss the window manager issue on the dev-apps list
when there are more people subscribed more in a detailed manner
so we can write down any important points in the area of window
managers.

> These
> are well documented, easy to auto-add menus items to, and a user can pick
> up the documentation for custom configuration rather quickly.

Yeah, I should have looked into the docs first ;O)  But fvwm2
isn't very fault-tolarant, that's the least I can say.
E.g. disabling those 100 tiny icons it loaded as individual
files was done quickly by giving a wrong directory :O)
However, now that stupid beast prints all the names of the files
where the icons used to be.  I got used to that.
Worse is that the height of GoodStuff depends on the
largest icon in it (at least by default it seems).
The result is that I have to resize my goodstuff just
to see the pager :(  Don't worry, I'm fine ;)  But we should
definitely check out other wms to see whether they are
more end-user ready :O)

> I think the default desktop should be kept simple yet extensable.
>
> Until the utopian "complete" desktop is available, a simple suite of
> things like tkdesk, tkmail, filerunner, and knews should give the user a
> nice platform for launching programs, managing local and remote
> filesystems, reading mail, and reading news.

Yes, I think we should take the best of each category we can
find.

> ez-ppp

Qt AFAIK.

[...]