Re: SEUL: Re: What's the diff to SEUL ? (fwd)

On Sat, 17 Jan 1998, William T Wilson wrote:

> If the user knows the brand and model of card, then that will be a no
> brainer.  If the user does not, then we can try superprobe.  As a last
> resort, we can hope they have Win95 installed and try to raid the Win95
> configuration for the information.  :)  Does anyone know enough about the
> Win95 registry to try and pick it apart in such a way?  :)

<grin slowly spreads> Hey, that is a good idea.  Maybe we could even view
DOS config.sys and autoexec.bat files to locate a type of hardware.  PCI
hardware is not really a problem IF you have a good vendor database. Every
card is supposed to have some number that it reports when queried for ID.
We should be able to get as smart as MS is in locating and identifying
hardware.

George Bonser
http://www.debian.org