Re: SEUL: Is it too soon for me to comment?

On Tue, 6 Jan 1998, Jon Gerdes wrote:

Please wrap your messages to 70 columns and don't include HTML
attachments, it's a rude quirk of Exchange...

> 1)  "Merely" setting to define a set of standards of what would make a good set up and putting it together, including re-writing any offending parts.

I am forced to think of things in a practical term...  The idea of a
standardized GUI interface for Linux is never going to happen, not in a
million years.  Know why?  There are too many different GUI toolkits.
Hey, there's even too many efforts toward a standardized interface!

> 2) Starting from scratch - but I suspect that all "new" OSs start like that and end up getting bogged down.

You have got to be NUTS!  It would take us a month just to get something
that printed 'A' then hung the computer!  It took 6 years of development
at a phenominal speed to get linux to where it is now!  And THAT'S with
over 100 developers!  You are absolutely CRAZY...  TTYL!

                            ---
                        Paul Anderson
		   paul @ geeky1.ebtech.net
    Author of Star Spek(a tongue in cheek pun on Star trek)
e-mail: starspek-request@lowdown.com with subscribe as the subject
I hear it's hilarious.               Maintainer of the Tips-HOWTO.
          http://www.netcom.com/~tonyh3/speck.html
     Let not the sands of time get in your lunch.