Re: SEUL: Is it too soon for me to comment?

Erik Walthinsen (Omega) wrote:
> On Mon, 5 Jan 1998, Paul Anderson wrote:
[...]
> > A newbie running Win95 on his computer WON'T buy SEUL or any other Linux
> > off the shelf and put it on his computer.  Why?  Because he knows Win95,
> > and it works for him. So, our best bet is the client/server market.

> Initially, yes.  As people use SEUL at work, they realize, "hey, this is
> easier than my Windoze box at home, maybe I should install it there."
> Soon people are doing this en masse, and pressure mounts on computer
> manufs. to actually sell them pre-loaded.  Optimistic, yes, but that's a
> possibility.

I think it's more likely to get some home users to install
Linux to try it out then to get companies to install Linux
on their workstations in significant numbers, soon.

So apart from server installations I mainly see a potential
in the SoHo market, beginning with science/engineering people
and non-CS students.  Cheap classroom networks can help, too, IMO.

I believe the keys are easy installation and a pack of Free
Software applications which integrate decently well (at least
some common data exchange like clipboar, DnD).

[...]
kai