Re: SEUL: pick, pick, pick

On Wed, 2 Jul 1997, Thomas Molesworth wrote:

> On Tue, 1 Jul 1997, Randy Heineke wrote:
>
> > We should careful when we say things like "bad user".  The kind of
> > thinking that blames a user for a bad interface or bad fit, can lead to
> > bad interfaces.
>
> Different people prefer different interfaces. I hear some people even like
> Apple's MacOS and System7 :-)
>
> --
> Thomas Molesworth            (thomas@bass.almac.co.uk)

I don't know MacOS and System 7.  I'm guessing that windows caught up to
the point to where the distinctions, that people argue about, are more
about ego than usability.

Windows is probably a very good example of what happens when the user
interface is applied after the operating system is designed.

Xwindows installation suffers from the same issue.  It is really just an
add on to Linux.

Does Redhat really fill the needs for install?  It uses one diskette!
It works from network or CD.  I know some people have had smooth installs
with it.  It is just lacking in partion? There may have been other valid
criticisms in The Sunday Times.

User are likely to derive their first impression at install.  It needs
to go well.

Does anybody care to speculate how easy Redhat would do with old BIOS,
two large drives, no name tseng 4000 w32p video on the motherboard, a
Mediavision Pro Audio Spectrum 16 LMSI, and a Phillips cm206?  And the
documentation supplied with the system does not match the hardware.
Would ppp be ready to run?  How about the printer?

If mounting the loopback file as / is a serious issue, maybe we should
consider an alternative.  Does it need a Kernel hack? If not, I would
like to know what would be so bad about leaving Linux in a DOS file.

Regards