SEUL: Something to think about... (fwd: y2k compliance)

------- Forwarded Message
Date: 	Sat, 5 Jul 1997 15:40:54 +0000 (   )
From: Gerard Paul Java <gerardj@cebu.mozcom.com>
To: Glynn Clements <glynn@sensei.co.uk>
cc: Dave Wreski <dave@nic.com>, linux-admin@vger.rutgers.edu
Subject: Re: y2k compliance

Hi all,

Thanks for the replies, but a part of the query is yet unanswered.  I
still asked regarding presence of any non-compliant apps that we should be
aware about.  Please remember that even now, three years before 2000,
applications that need to compute into the future will already be failing.
(if not updated or fixed)

Yes, at first, it may seem off-topic, what would this have to do
with Linux-admin indeed.  IMHO, though, I think it's a critical need for
*any* platform that we're going to run imporant applications on.  It *is*
a need that must be addressed, even now.

I'll be looking through the kernel sources, but I don't have a dbms yet.
The decision as to what to get for Linux will be based in part on its
current compliance.

Remember that compliance means it won't fail not only when the time
arrives, but with any computation that needs to address dates beyond 2000,
or 2038 (as the case may be).

Thanks for your opinions.  And for those of you out there who are systems
analysts, programmers, and/or database managers.  Don't take this issue
lightly.  It's very serious.

Regards,

Gerard

Gerard Paul R. Java
System Administrator, Mosaic Communications Cebu
primary: riker@mozcom.com
secondary: gerardj@cebu.mozcom.com

Disclaimer: No, I have nothing to do with the language.

------- End of Forwarded Message

        Erik Walthinsen - Programmer, webmaster, 3D artist, etc.   __
 /  \           omega@sequent.com         Work: (503)578-5314    / /  \
|    | M E G A  omega@aracnet.com         Home: (503)281-4281   / / /\ \
_\  /_          psu12113@odin.cc.pdx.edu  Majoring in CS       / / /\ \ \
Omega Station: http://www.aracnet.com/~omega/                /________\ \ \