Re: SEUL: More GUI Musings

Jay Bloodworth writes:
> Besides, users that
> aren't terribly sophisicated probably need text to tell them what they're
> running.

While this comment is not particularly SEUL-related, some of us actually like buttons with text labels! At least, give us the option. I find there are too many, and too many different, icons in the world, including all those contained within applications. I do not find most of them intuitive at all.

I recently experimented with Caldera OpenLinux Lite which comes with the Looking Glass desktop. The icons there are very elaborate, using multiple colors and appearing to have a size around 100 pixels square. (Size is only my impression; I didn't measure.) The additional complexity did not improve them at all IMHO. Most are still almost impossible to decypher without reading a help file. And I find that they appear to clutter the screen far beyond reason.

It seems to me that there are two reasons why some programmers prefer to use pictures instead of labels. One, pictures can easily be a standard size, which simplifies screen design. Two, pictures don't need alternative versions for different languages. These are legitimate advantages but, IMHO, are not sufficient to always prefer pictures. Sometimes it is appropriate to take the extra time and do the extra work to achieve an interface a user might regard as friendly. Not giving the user a choice is not friendly.

Anyway, I don't think the implication that users who prefer text are not "terribly sophisicated" does anything to improve the attitude of potential users.
--
Dave Close, Compata, Costa Mesa CA "Politics is the business of getting
dave@compata.com, +1 714 434 7359 power and privilege without

---------------------------------------------------------------------------- Simple End User Linux Mailing list To be removed from this mailing list send a message to majordomo@txcc.net with the line unsubscribe seul-project in the body of the letter. ----------------------------------------------------------------------------