Re: SEUL: New Test

On Tue, 22 Jul 1997, Micah Yoder wrote:

> As for grading software, that can't possibly be all that hard to write.
> Why not write a program for Linux?

I was thinking along the lines of mSQL.  Create a database with the
relevant info, and rig up a web interface to that database.  A sample
comes with mSQL.

> It may even be possible to write some sort of test program, where
> students take a test on the computer and the results are automatically
> graded, sent to the teacher, and put on the student's record.
>
> Actually, I think it would be a good idea to have several possible
> "environments" for SEUL - like, select Home User, School, Office,
> Library, whatever...

Good idea, IMHO.  Lesse...

Home User

Default to little networking, no sendmail, no pine, nothing network
oriented unless specifyed by user.  Modifyable by using seuladmin
program(my idea for seuladmin is: let's you change your "Usage Profile",
add and remove individual packages, and let you do basic admin tasks
behind an ncurses/X GUI).

Intranet Server

Default to lots of networking stuff, not much programming stuff,
configured for use as a firewall, kernel set to optimize as router not
host.

Library

www-mSQL configured default for handling books, apache setup, various
library-specific record-keeping devices.

School

Everything, extra heavy on security, all networking capabilities, mSQL
configured for grade-keeping plus testing and report card printing.  SATAN
and Crack installed to help the admin sniff out security holes.

Business

mSQL configured for inventory and accounts tracking, lighter on networking
than for School use.  Heavy on security as well.

That pretty much covers it.....  This is IMHO of course.  Another point, I
recently was discussing with a fellow why he didn't recommend Linux to his
customers much.  A very important reason, according to him, was the lack
of someone to yell at if things go wrong.  Food for thought....  TTYL!

                            ---
                        Paul Anderson
		   paul @ geeky1.ebtech.net
    Author of Star Spek(a tongue in cheek pun on Star trek)
e-mail: starspek-request@lowdown.com with subscribe as the subject
I hear it's hilarious.               Maintainer of the Tips-HOWTO.
          http://www.netcom.com/~tonyh3/speck.html
 "Could you continue your petty bickering? I find it most intriguing."