Re: SEUL: Package managers

On 23 Jul 1997 jghasler@win.bright.net wrote:

> Randy Heineke writes:
> > ...after installing, the old Tcl/Tk was gone.  The rub came when some of
> > the old applications would not work without the old Tcl/Tk.  I don't know
> > why the new Tcl/Tk was not more compatible.
>
> That is a major problem with Tcl/Tk: the authors evidently see no reason to
> maintain any backward compatibility.  Debian handles this by supporting
> multiple versions of the libraries.
>
> > It does highlight a big challange to the open development model.
>
> It highlights a reason not to use Tcl/Tk.
>
> > How do you squeeze in time for a vacation without your system becoming
> > obsolete?
>
> By using a well designed and well managed distribution where someone has
> given some thought to these problems.
> --
> John Hasler

John, maybe Tcl/Tk should be avoided.  I have heard of this happening
with many other tools as well.  As far as I can tell, it often occurs
when authors strive for compatibility, but an oversight was not
discovered in testing.  I don't see how this can be avoided, maybe you
see it more clearly and could share some pointers.

I'm not sure how supporintg multiple versions of the library helps
without some sort of manual intervention.  What tells the old program to
use the old library and the new program to use the new library?

Regards,