Re: SEUL: Package managers

On Wed, 23 Jul 1997, Randy Heineke wrote:

> Heard of UnRpm?
>
> Someone who knows more about package managers than me might like to take
> a look at UnRpm.  I came across it in the July issue of Linux Gazette.
> It looks like it handles Debian, Red Hat and Slackware package management
> schemes.
>
> http://sunsite.unc.edu/mdw/LDP/LG/issue19/unrpm.html

I should check it out, sounds good, though...

> Is E overly complicated?

AAMOF, I use enlightenment on my box here.  My only gripe is what it took
to install it, over 12 megs of stuff!  Reminds me of the time I d/led
Hurd...  Still haven't gotten that nexus font to work, but beyond that
it's cool beyond all recognition.  IMHO, it's not too complex, pretty
simple, actually.  The default config brings up menus when you hit Alt-F1
through F4, so you have to remember to hit control also:)  It's beautiful,
I think we should deffinitely include in SEUL.

> A problem for any package manager?
>
> I saw a discussion about a problem that arose when somebody wanted to
> install a nifty application.  Of course it depended upon a new vesion
> Tcl/Tk.  So after installing, the old Tcl/Tk was gone.  The rub came when
> some of the old applications would not work without the old Tcl/Tk.  I
> don't know why the new Tcl/Tk was not more compatible.  It does highlight
> a big challange to the open development model.  How do you squeeze in
> time for a vacation without your system becoming obsolete?

Well, you can't really do much about that 'cept flog the people in charge
into backwards compatibility...  TTYL!

                            ---
                        Paul Anderson
		   paul @ geeky1.ebtech.net
    Author of Star Spek(a tongue in cheek pun on Star trek)
e-mail: starspek-request@lowdown.com with subscribe as the subject
I hear it's hilarious.               Maintainer of the Tips-HOWTO.
          http://www.netcom.com/~tonyh3/speck.html
	A clean desk is a sign of a cluttered desk drawer.