Re: SEUL: Observatons

peter luka writes:
> i like this idea, and i think it is feasible.  we can also go from this
> to rewriting the core installer, but we will actually have something
> distribution-quality to start with, rather than starting out by working
> our way up to it.

I've been assuming that we were going to re-write the core installer.

> what are the exact benefits you see to a freedos install?

Size, and the fact that it uses a standard MSDOS floppy.  Freedos is small
enough to leave plenty of room on an install floppy for other useful stuff.
The fact that it is DOS allows the user to use standard DOS tools to
prepare the install floppy from a CD.

> i agree with C for initial stuff.  why perl over bash for the rest,
> though?

I expect that "the rest" will amount to considerably more than just some
simple scripts.  Bash is ok for ten liners, but not for real programs.

> starting a newsgroup to replace mailing lists may also be appropriate.
> opinions?

I like usenet and have participated for more than ten years, but I don't
think a newsgroup is appropriate for this sort of thing.

John Hasler
jghasler@win.bright.net (John Hasler)
Dancing Horse Hill
Elmwood, WI