Re: SEUL: Observatons

On Tue, 24 Jun 1997, Johan Grape wrote:

> > 1) I don't think people reinstall operating systems lightly.  Those who do
> > can probably handle RedHat.
>
> Huh?
>
> Well - isn't the whole point that RedHat *is* too complicated from
> an end-user standpoint?  In terms of sophistication, Windows NT is

That may be your whole point, but I'm not convinced it's really true.

The position I arguing from is:

The set of home users who lack the courage and/or skills to install RedHat
AND who are otherwise willing to consider installing a new OS is currently
too small to warrant a new distribution aimed at those users.

This is just an instinct I have based on spending a lot of
time with non-technical computer users.  For data to support or refute the
above, I suppose we could look at the sales figures for NT workstation
and/or retail RedHat, though the set of people who purchase these products
is not exactly the same as the set I describe above, so I'm not sure I'd
know how to interpret that data.

Jay