Re: SEUL: Partitioning

On Mon, 30 Jun 1997, Erik Walthinsen wrote:

> > The idea is to make people think it _is_ a nifty app, and not want to go
> > back to Win95.
>
> IT'S NOT AN APP!!!  It's a complete OS, and that's the *only* face we should
> be presenting to the user.  If they think it's an app, they *will* go back to
> Win95, mostly because it's still there.  We should not be dependant on M$ at
> all, which is where using a FAT loopback puts us.  If the user doesn't see
> 'Linux' as soon as he boots, he'll think of it as a Win95 program, which puts
> of worse off than before.

LILO would still work for a system using FAT/loopback (I think, haven't
tried yet). It would be a simple matter to rearrange partition tables around
the LINUX.DSK file if the user decided that yes, Linux is the way to go. We
definitely do NOT want bad press for being hard to uninstall.

> (sorry for yelling.  just want to make the point... :)

Point taken :D

--
Thomas Molesworth            (thomas@bass.almac.co.uk)