Re: SEUL: available software

Greg Bell writes:
> Unless I miss my guess this is one of the things that SEUL is aiming at

And therefore there is no reason to worry that they will be frightened off
by the text color on their first xterm: they will soon be given an
opportunity to change it.

> Why just debian, why not say RedHat or Slackware???

Ok, maybe Red Hat.  Not Slackware: it has no package management system.

> ...which as I understand it is, because of the way Debian is designed,
> just slightly out of date [older software packages]

You understand incorrectly.  Debian is just as up to date as any
distribution, and includes more packages than any other (about 1200 in 1.3,
I believe).  Since all the tools to create Debian packages are available,
we can create our own packages if something we need is missing.

> Until something goes wrong [in a kernel compile] and you have nobody to
> ask questions.

So we make this unlikely, and make sure the user can back out gracefully if
it does happen.  Just like any other package installation.

> Remember that SEUL is looking at the neophyte who in all probability has
> never done a compile in their whole life.  A somewhat scarry task until
> you get your feet wet, so to speak.

I wasn't suggesting that we ask them to do a kernel compile as part of the
initial install, but there is no good reason to make it a big hairy deal,
either.

John Hasler
jghasler@win.bright.net (John Hasler)
Dancing Horse Hill