Re: SEUL: Re: Minilinux (fwd)

Keith Dart wrote:

> On Thu, 19 Mar 1998, Kevin Forge wrote:
>

> > SEUL cannot be small.  A small tight system is for when you know exactly
> > what you want to do and are ready to trim it.
> > i.e.  recently I started including Linux on new PCs at no charge to
> > customers ... I simply ask them to test it for a while and call me to
> > delete it if it doesn't suit them.  I install ALL of RedHat 5.  Then I
> > Pile on Netscape 4,  Star Office, and KDE  ( These are mostly University
> > people and as such fit the none commercial Star Office license ).
> > That's over 700 Megs of stuff plus 150 megs free in "/" "/usr" "/home"
> > for a total usage of ~1300 megs ( including swap )
> > I have yet to remove Linux from 1 such PC ... some of them are now
> > using Linux for most operations in fact.
>
> Way to go! It makes me happy to hear that. Do you set up LILO to boot
> Linux by default?

No.And don't start grumbling.  A wise man once said "the only way to
hold a
butterfly is in an open palm".  Yes the machine will load Windows 95or
WinNT
if you switch it on and do nothing.  However I have given 3different
ways to
start Linux. 1 : type the letter "L" at the Lilo prompt.2 : Select load
previous version of DOS ( This runs through a minimalist        OpenDos
autoexe
and starts up loadlin )3 : Click on the bird icon thats siting quietly
below
everyones favorite      Lighthouse on the desktop.I have even made a
script
"/usr/sbin/win" that looks like this.# Be Assimilated.echo  This will
terminate Linux and reboot the machine so you echo  can run Windows.
Are
you certain you wish to do this ?su -c "shutdown -r now"--

---
"Through the firewall, out the router, down the T1, across the
backbone, bounced from satellite, Nothing but net."