Re: SEUL: Hardware support for Linux

   Date: Sat, 8 Nov 1997 09:51:18 -0500 (EST)
   From: Graydon Hoare <graydon@pobox.com>
   Sender: owner-seul-project@belegost.mit.edu

   On Fri, 7 Nov 1997, Erik Walthinsen wrote:

   If marketing is a necessary evil, I suggest we do it right:

   1. no threats. kiss their ass.
   2. don't pretend anyone knows about linux. pretend it's "all new". If
      someone says they already know it and hate it, ask them if they've used
      "linux 2?" You're not lying: 2.x really is better.
   3. "invite" people to "join the growing numbers" of people in the
      "partners program". Make the program cost money -- they'll feel
      important.

Caution.  That is right about the "feeling important" but you if you
ask money you could pass as a crook and end in jail

   4. don't mention microsoft at all. in any way.
   5. use numbers, but make them believable.
   6. take advantage of the fact that there is no structure in the linux
      community: pretend you're writing representing a big group.
   7. never let up. melt their resistance with repetition.

The problem is than hardware manufacturers work with the assumption
than Linux users will buy the hardware and try to make the best of it
so the manufacturers will not lose sales.

We need a site detailing unsupported hardware.  And every Linux
distribution should list prominently the URL in the distribution.  And
people asking about hardware should be pointed to this site.  The
goal being than Linuxers routinely check theis site before buying
hardware.  I think than a negative site "unsupported hardware" is more
effective than a positive one because when someone is not listed in a
positive site it can be due than the site is not up to date.

Manufacturers would then have an interest in not being in the black
list.

   while we're at it, we need a better sticker than "cool it runs with
   linux". That one looks dorky. We need holographic stickers that say
   "Linux 2.x system compliant" -- like there's a big lab with technicians in
   white smocks testing things to make sure they're linuxy.

Yes "Cool it works with Linux" does not sound professional enough.

--
			Jean Francois Martinez