SEUL: Re: Working on an enduser distro

Eric BARROCA wrote:

> Helleo all,
>
> > First of all thanks for the willingness to cooperate. I think this is a
> > very good beginning. I just subscribed to the Seul mailinglist, and go
> > with the idea to have one place of discussion.
> > So to make sure you all know:
> > send e-mail to majordomo@seul.org
> > With in the body subscribe seul-pub
> I have been subscribe to the mailing list.
> How about starting with the comment of my previous mail about he use of
> Debian ?

To be honest I don't know Debian that well. What I have seen from their
web-site is that do have a good, and legally right distro.

I agree with you on the point of a light base, that is why we choose
Slackware. Debian is like that.
I disagree with you about the .deb package fromat. Not that it isn't good,
but on the fact that (as far as I know) only debian uses it. The package
format of Stampede is even more generic, but the same goes for them. And my
major point for choosing RPM is, as mentioned in my previous mail that the
LSB choose RPM. It is NOT my idea. Another point is that most distro's have
a utility to convert RPM into the package format of the distro, and they
don't have that for the .deb format.
We have to think from the users point of view. He/she wants to be able to
use whatever package is available. and convert it or use it directly. More
programs are available in RPM, then there are in .deb. But we could always
provide a convert utility to solve that problem.

I haven't checked Debian on FHS compliancy so I take your word for that.

I totally agree with you on the FREE part. One of our major concerns when
picking a distro to build upon. We choose slack, you debian. In my opinion,
but correct me if I am wrong, Debian is too strickt in their policy. They
don't allow commercial stuff. While Slackware is not so strickt. I think
there should be some room for commercial programs too. Like StarOffice or
something like that.

A strong point is the fact that if we choose Debian, they might be willing
to help build the thing. On the otherhand Maybe Red Hat is willing too and I
don't know about the group around Patrick, but up to now the forum from
slack is very willing to help people with all kinds of stuff. Currently
efforts are made to get GNOME working on the new Slack version 4.

Well, I think this will raise enough questions, things to debate about :)

Dennis