SEUL: outline of an end-user distro

Éric wrote:
-
-> I think we can't do with i386/486 computers : X is unable to
-> be launched on them.  The end-users would like a *graphical*
-> installation, with fancy picture/graphics.  They don't a
-> << DOS-like >> (it's what thez said when they see a great
-> and usefull text based console!) interface.
-
People that stupid deserve M$Windows.
-
-> Why not do a text based installation, we can't juts do that.
-
What?  No user-friendly Linux for me?
-
It's funny how several different groups are all beavering away
to provide a gooey point-and-click Linux for the Pentium crowd.
But NOBODY is providing a compact, user-friendly distribution
for 386's and low-end 486's.
-
I'll make the point again:  there are lots of 3/486's out
there.  They are treasured possessions in the third world;
and even in the affluent West, there are some people who can
only afford to buy a secondhand 3/486.  It seems to me that
these people deserve a user-friendly Linux.  Particularly
since they have been abandoned by Micro$oft.
-
Oh yes, there are plenty of Linux-on-a-Stick distributions:
hal91, muLinux, tomsrtbt, LRP, Trinux, DLX, etc., etc.  It's
amazing what you can squeeze onto one floppy.  muLinux even
has a one-floppy X.  My my, aren't they clever.  Wonderful
for rescue or for impressing friends.  But would you want to
use them all the time?  No way.
-
Then there's Monkey, Dragon, Firebird, MicroLinux, DOSLinux, etc.
They drop right into your M$ filesystem (no repartitioning hassles)
and provide a great introduction to Linux.  But that's all it is
-- an introduction.  Sooner or later you need to install a real
Linux.
-
Next stop:  RedHat, Slackware, Debian.  The Full Monty.  Too
bloated for an old 3/486.  Unfriendly to those with limited
resources.  Yeah yeah, RTFM and prune prune prune.  Been there,
done that.  Poor newbie doesn't have a chance.
-
So what's the poor 3/486 owner to do?  There don't seem to be
any good options out there.  Certainly no user-friendly ones.
-
Cheers,
Steven