From: Roger Dingledine <arma@mit.edu>
Subject: SEUL: Re: XML Interface
To: bmh@canada.com
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 20:49:25 -0500 (EST)
Cc: seul-pub@seul.org, debian-doc@lists.debian.org
Sender: owner-seul-pub@seul.org

I read your mail from Nils. As leader of the SEUL project (simple end-user
linux, www.seul.org), I especially noticed your comment about the 'end user
experience'. Many of the projects I've been watching and working with over
the past year have considered XML, and most of them have failed to make the
XML part of their project work.
(For more discussion of that, look at
http://lists.styx.net/archives/public/freehive-list/1998-December/000235.html
and followup posts from Kendall Clark and others.)

I'm curious what sorts of things you're doing to 'motivate' the groups to
change config file formats. My general impression is that the tools are out
there for manipulating XML files, but there isn't enough information and
education out there about what to use for which application, and how to make
each tool work well.

I would be very interested in hearing about a centralized "how to do your
project with XML" howto page along with some application-oriented
introductions, rather than the theory-based discussion that most faqs and
docs seem to focus on. I would be willing to help out in guiding the shape
of said docs/pages.

Do you have a website for your 'efforts'? (Any archive of mail, for
instance?)

Thanks,
--Roger (I don't speak for debian)