SEUL: re: project which needs web hosting

[Kevin Lawton (bochs@world.std.com, the guy who wrote the bochs
x86 emulator) mailed me, and I just realized that maybe I should
have cc'ed my response to seul-pub. So here we go.]

> Hi,
>
> I've got a project which I'd like to find a new home for.
>
> The project is called "freemware".  It is reachable
> at http://www.freemware.org.  Freemware is software
> which will let you run Windows under Linux at fairly
> native speeds.

> Hi,
>
> I've got a project which I'd like to find a new home for.
>
> The project is called "freemware".  It is reachable
> at http://www.freemware.org.  Freemware is software
> which will let you run Windows under Linux at fairly
> native speeds.
>
> Currently it's beeing hosted by Redhat, though they
> Hi,
>
> I've got a project which I'd like to find a new home for.
>
> The project is called "freemware".  It is reachable
> at http://www.freemware.org.  Freemware is software
> which will let you run Windows under Linux at fairly
> native speeds.
>
> Currently it's beeing hosted by Redhat, though they
> don't offer all the features we'd like to create the
> web page.  If you're interested in hosting this, and
> can provide the following features, please let me know:

We've got two machines currently that make up the seul.org (and
linuxunited.org) domain.

The primary one (cran.seul.org) is an amd 586/133 with 32 megs of ram
and a 2 gig drive. It hosts all the subdomains (web/ftp for all the seul
subprojects, see http://www.seul.org/pub/hosting.html for details), as well
as the entirety of linuxunited.org. It probably wouldn't appreciate an
extended hammering (eg from a heavy-use mysql-based site).
The second machine (belegost.seul.org) is a 2*P5/166mmx (currently running
uni) with 224 megs of ram, a 2 gig drive, a 7 gig drive, and a 17 gig drive.
Belegost hosts www.seul.org (primary seul website plus all the archives),
majordomo, dns for both domains, and ftp2.seul.org (the ftp site for the
Project Independence distribution, http://independence.seul.org).

Belegost has a variety of interesting apache add-ons installed, and I can
install any new ones you like. I currently have mysql running on belegost,
but it's a relatively old version. (Incidentally, both machines are still
running libc5-based rh42.) Cran currently hosts all the cvs repositories,
but belegost is probably the better choice for machine if you're going to
be doing anything computational, or if you have a bunch of rpm's you'll
want me to install (I'm much happier frobbing software on belegost, rather
than cran).

The only catch is your including 'usenet' in the list. I'm confused about
what you mean. Do you just mean that you want to be able to read that
hierarchy from the machines, or is it more complex than that? (I've used
usenet, and I've admin'ed Linux machines for many years, but I've never
combined the two, so please forgive my ignorance.) If you want to read
the groups from the seul machines, I don't believe the MIT feed currently
includes them; I can look into what it would take to add them to the
feed. I would recommend going through dejanews, as an alternative...

Anyway, yes, this is definitely a possibility. Freemware looks like a
very good goal (vmware has been very useful from what I've seen, and it's
a shame it's got a proprietary license).
How large an ftp site were you considering, and what timeframe for moving
over to a new site?
(I'm leaving MIT on Saturday to fly down to Maryland to work for the
summer, so I'm going to be out of commission for a week in a few days.)

Thanks,
--Roger