SEUL: An idea

A services manager.

Some Unix systems (generally SYS5-ish ones, I think) have a directory
/etc/init.d with a list of scripts that start and stop services.  This
idea could be extended.  There might be a directory /etc/services.d, and
each file in that directory would contain information about each service
- how to start it, how to stop it, how to configure it, how to find out
about it, and what services need to be running for it to work.

The user would get a program that would let her start/stop/configure
services, somewhat like the services control panel in NT, and there
would also be a facility to enable the user to find out what any
particular service actually does.

Any comments?

Michael (Micksa) Slade       | Badgers? BADGERS? We don't
mslade@cit.nepean.uws.edu.au | need no steenking badgers!
http://mickworld.dyn.ml.org/ |  - Ren Hoek