Re: SEUL: An idea

In message <199810161917.PAA02027@hermite.math.uwaterloo.ca>,
 trwcolem@undergrad.math.uwaterloo.ca writes:

>> A services manager.
>>
>> Some Unix systems (generally SYS5-ish ones, I think) have a directory
>> /etc/init.d with a list of scripts that start and stop services.  This
>> idea could be extended.  There might be a directory /etc/services.d, and
>> each file in that directory would contain information about each service
>> - how to start it, how to stop it, how to configure it, how to find out
>> about it, and what services need to be running for it to work.
>
>Debian uses /etc/init.d for starting services.  There are scripts
>there that run things, and they can usually take start/stop/restart
>arguments.

Similarly, redhat uses /etc/rc.d/{init.d/, rc?.d/, rc*} to do this. It
determines which services are up for a given runlevel, and it takes care
of starting and stopping the appropriate services when you change
runlevels.
In any case, each distribution (except slackware, maybe? I haven't used
slackware in 3 years) does it already.

The services dependency idea is an interesting one. So far, that's just
coded into the script that starts or stops the service. Are there
really that many services that have dependencies, though?

>> The user would get a program that would let her start/stop/configure
>> services, somewhat like the services control panel in NT, and there
>> would also be a facility to enable the user to find out what any
>> particular service actually does.
>
>Hmmm...I think I should make a graphical front-end to start and
>stop services on my box.

Redhat had one of those kicking around, even in 4.2. They've got a
control bar of their own. Works pretty well. No doubt K has one as well.
No use repeating work...

>Tim

--Roger