SEUL: Frames on the website

An issue I forgot to cover in my last mail: the current website uses
frames. This is cool, because it's easy to keep organized, and it's
easy to provide a left-hand navbar for going anywhere in the website.
This sucks, because, well, frames suck.

If we make the frames go away, then we:
* should remove references in our text to "click foo in the navbar to
  the left"
* should remove the frames from both www.seul.org/ and www.seul.org/dev/

If we do this, we need to figure out some way of making the site
navigatable easily.
* Make each page have a frame-like-thingie on the lefthand side. This
  would be made trivial by sdoc, but sdoc is not a solution we should
  rely on at this point. We could do it by hand; in particular, we could
  do it to only "high-level" pages (eg the top level of each hierarchy),
  and the lower-level pages would be navbarless.

What are the usual solutions that people use for this sort of thing?
Does somebody want to argue the position "we should use frames anyway"?

Thanks,
--Roger