Re: SEUL: If you need an help

> I know you didn't talk specifically about website
> design, but it might be worthwhile to discuss it.  Should such a
> discussion take place here, or on seul-pub-www?

I wouldn't like to project the interaction of a web site... I do it everyday.
If I would like to give you some of my time is to make new experiences. To project
the interaction design for an OS or for a program...
I don't have linux on my mac and I'm not going to install it... but I would like
to help the growing of this OS.
You have to project the interface before starting programming. :)

> Since our focus is on education, we're
> especially interested in easy user interfaces that would be suitable for
> younger children.

This is an example of what I mean with new experience :)
If there is some professor with something interesting to teach I would be glad to
help him, where I can :)
Waiting for some proposals :)

Another idea is a sort of ICQ + database projected for schools and universities
(but maybe also workers), so everyone can talk with his schoolmates in the world
and find useful resources as public books, exercises, etc...

>  I've been pushing the idea of expandable UIs for
> standard programs like the GIMP or AbiWord (those are just examples)
> that could present simple, easy to use interfaces to younger children.
> These interfaces could gradually be enriched as the users become more
> proficient in using the programs, until they were using the full power
> of the program.  The idea was to not have some crippled or simplified
> children's wordprocessor or graphics program, but to have the children
> work from the start with some subset of the capabilities of real
> programs.  Of course, the idea that we would only need to develop
> alternate UIs and not the full programs has some appeal too.

good :)

> We have also discussed the need on Linux for a non-serious-programmer
> authoring tool that would give similar functionality to HyperStudio
> (that's the authoring tool that most US educators are familiar with).

mmmmh... very complex... and long term :(