Re: SEUL: Re: [seul-edu] Re: Web Site Prototype

malonowa wrote:

> I don't see why you can't have a just text page as the seul-edu home page
> with a little javascript which redirects the user to something more glossy
> should their browser be capable of it. We could easily check for instance if
> the browser is netscape/ie and then move straight to something a bit more
> graphical. The lynx users of course would remain at the text part.
>
> The problem really is that one has to give the right impression. Whilst we
> need to support many different systems, volunteers are more easily attracted
> to something that looks pretty and well designed. A mostly text page to
> netscape/ie users may give the mental impression that the project isn't
> really all that good and may not be going anywhere. We need to market
> ourselves to the prospective volunteers. I know that we shouldn't judge a
> book by its cover but we do don't we!

Again, don't equate "a page that works well with lynx and w3m" with "a
boring page of just text."  there are perfectly nice pages with a fair
amount of graphics that are completely accessible and usable by people
using lynx and w3m.

And I'm not sure that I agree about a mostly text page giving the
impression that a project really isn't all that good.  Take a look at
the GNOME pages--they're almost entirely text.  In fact, my first
emotional impression (and it may not be warranted) of a page that has
lots of graphics and little text is, "lightweight, eye-candy."