Re: Re: SEUL: Sample Webpages for SEUL-PUB

On Fri, 24 Dec 1999, "Anand.R.Vaidya" wrote:

> I have also observed that www.w3c.org's "Validate HTML" returns
> plenty of errors on our existing pages. We need to fix them. What
> priority are we assigning to 'clean' HTML?

I haven't said much about it, but personally I think that all of our HTML
should validate both against w3c's validator and against Bobby
<http://www.cast.org/bobby/>.  That's the only way you can be sure that what you do will be presented
usably and pleasantly to everyone regardless of their browsers, both now nad in
the future.

> My suggestions are as follows:
> * Use CSS for overall styling.
> * Use <Hn> tags strictly for content structuring and not for font-sizing
> * No embedded FONT codes.
> * Use SSI "include virtual" directives to manage navigation, headers,
footers and page content that are consistent from page to page.
> * All pages should undergo some form of verification and be posted
afterwards.
> * Provide certain links on *all* pages (eg links to HOME, Search)
> * We need to have a sitemap. Is there a script available?

I completely agree with _all_ of these recommendations.  Roger is right that we
need to keep our pages clean and small to keep the load times down, but I don't
think these will introduce any noticeable performance hit.

--
Doug Loss            Always acknowledge a fault.  This will throw
dloss@suscom.net     those in authority off their guard and give