Re: OS questions partial draft, II

Hi Kimboo.
I just finished reading your reply to a reply.
About myself. I'm retired. Programmed mainframes for
25 years. Thus on the technical side. Have used 23
operating systems as best I can remember. Currently
we run a small home business. Thus a SOHO.

With regards to security C2, I2O support and unicode
support, I agree drop them and since I brought them
up I guess that should be final.

Telephony and multimedia guess who brought these up.
I was going to expand on these but didn't get to it. I believe
them to be important as they are the basis of Microsoft's
grand strategy to combine computers, communications
and TV. The August issue of the Computer User the free
local computer paper had an article on telephony on the
front page. It was titled Integrating Phones and Computers.
It decribes how computer telephone integration (CTI)
servers are moving down the chain into small businesses.
Even our tiny business has caller ID readout on each phone.
Now integrate this into the computer for call routing and
caller account information display and one creates the
potential for faster customer responce. On multimedia I
agree that it is a catchword and does not convey what I
had in mind. I just finished glancing at SCO World and
what did I see an article on using your PC to create
video presentations. Anyway so much for my ramblings.

During the day I wrote down  ideas on things that would
not pertain to all user-types A list of them follows:

General (Home) user
games (99% of game playing is in the  home use category
althought the all out game player might be considered a
speciality user with a high end computer and graphics card)
educational use is also primarily a home use.
banking is home and SOHO (the Linux Journal's survey of
software people would like ported to Linux currently shows

SOHO
banking
accounting

Speciality User
one falls here if  they need special hardware/software

Development/Technical Workstation
performance hardware/software

Business User -- Mid/Large office
servers
telephony (CTI server routes calls to appropriate person
and can bring up caller information)

Business User Systems Admin -- Mid/Large office
large networks
clustering
database, web, voice servers

Laptop