Put up yer dukes! It's that laptop user issue again.....

Okay, let's start here:

> In message <7c1f4a1c.35c90b13@aol.com>, eamorical@aol.com writes:
> >1. General (Home) user
> >2. SOHO
> >3. Specialty User
> >4. Development/Technical Workstation
> >5. Business User -- Mid/Large office
> >6. Business User Systems Admin -- Mid/Large office
> >7. Laptop?
>
> Yep, looks good. The ? is appropriate for the laptop user
> because we're going to decide if he's a separate user class
> once somebody comes up with questions for him (or fails).

My *biggest* issue with this whole matter, theology aside <g>, is
that one can be a laptop user and ALSO be users 1 through 6. If
laptop is going to be a seperate user def., then we HAVE to be
prepared for respondees to define themselves as MORE than one user
type. eg: I'm pretty much a SOHO, but then I see laptop culled out at
the bottom. Well, I do most of my business on my laptop, but I also
have a home machine that I use as well. Maybe I've networked them --
who knows. Well, so I'm a #2 and a #7, so I'm going to check both.
But the program won't let me check both? Uh oh. Then I have to choose
-- am I more a laptop user than a SOHO? I don't know. I pick one. Now
our survey results are skewed because the respondee is answering
questions both as a SOHO and a laptop user, but we have classified
them as one or another. BAD.

I'm shouting about this because having the option to pick more than
one user type will lead to chaos. What about the sys admin (#6) who
also runs a consulting firm from home (#2)? And has kids who
are profile #1, but obviously aren't going to do the survey
themselves, and the respondee knows that the computer decisions rests
on their shoulders anyway so they factor those issues into their
herd users to ID as one profile or another to avoid this, and hope
that they use that qualifier as their guide in answering questions.

Back to laptops: they CAN NOT be an independant user profile. No,
before everyone jumps on my case, let me point out that every other
user profile we have rests on what the personal or professional
issues are in that user's life, that is, what they are using the
computer system FOR. No one uses a laptop for using a laptop.

Compromise: If a laptop is kept as an independant user profile, the
questions must basically corral them into one of the other user
groups. That is, someone checks #7, then the first series of
questions must ask:
 1. do you use your laptop as a General (Home) user?
 2. do you use your laptop with your SOHO?
3. do you use your laptop in conjunction with your work as a
Specialty User?
...etc.

I don't mean to sound harsh about this, but a decision needs to be
made, and my personal opinion is that if laptop is culled out as a
user instead of being incorporated into  a couple of general
questions in the survey itself, we are inviting a large number of
logistical headaches for ourselves. And hey, I like to keep my life
simple....

Pax......

KimBoo York
Staff Reporter/On-Line Editor