Re: OS questions draft, III

Hi Pete
Glad to see you're back. Also nice to see you're adding to my pets
telephony and multimedia. I was trying to send some additional ideas
yesterday but had all kinds of problems with AOL. Finally it just crashed
and had to be reinstalled last night. Finally ADSL has arrived and I am
going to look into it today. This leads to the thought that with much higher
data transfer speeds becoming available, it makes downloading software
much more practical. Thus there should be questions like:

*Will ADSL or cable modem influence your decisions concerning
 downloading software.
 web surfing.
 web site material.
 etc.

In a message dated 8/9/98 11:58:59 AM EST, pete_st_onge@iname.com writes:

<<
 !* ability to act as servers for email, web pages, file access,
 !  telnet, file  transfer, etc.
 > !  [was: ability to run servers for email, web pages, file access, telnet,
file
 > !   transfer, etc.]
 >   [was: running servers (mail, httpd, samba, telnetd, ftpd, etc)]
 > ![should this be 'server' or 'servers'?]

 I would suggest separating these somewhat:

 * Being able to use your computer to be a mail server, web page server.
 * Being able to use your computer to share files over the network (file
   server) or over the internet (file transfer (FTP) server)
 * Being able to connect to your computer from another computer (telnet)

Just another thought. Since one user type is Business User -- Mid/Large
Office, they would probably have data base (Informix,Oracle) servers. Thus

*Being able to use your computer to connect to a data base server.

With the AOL troubles I am just going to send things one piece at a time.

Bob