Re: OS questions draft, III

In a message dated 8/9/98 11:58:59 AM EST, pete_st_onge@iname.com writes:

<<
 > !* multimedia: ability to integrate computer with audio/visual devices (CD
player, foo)
 > ![i want to come up with another example here. 'television' came to mind,
but perhaps that's more confusing than useful.]
 > !  [was: multimedia (integrating computers and audio/video) [needs help]]

 * Being able to use your computer to use and control audiovisual
   equipment, like CD player, DVD, television, radio)?

 > [games, graphics manipulation, sound - Should this be split further? Or is
it
 > already covered in earlier "what do you want to use your computer for"
 > sections?]
 > ![this should be elaborated for some usertypes and ignored for others, if
we
 > ! decide to have user-type-specific questions]

      Suggest that we make this a broad question as possible, then give
 the user the option of filling out questionaires specific to the
 application types later or separately?

Good. Controlling audio/video equipment is the big usage idea behind
P1394. Even radio, AM and FM, are going to be broadcast digitally in
addition to the analog signal. Once its digital, zeros and ones, the
computer can do most anything with it. Next 'use'. I mentioned in an
earlier post that I had seen an article on Video Presentations in the
recent SCO World. Since, at the time, I hadn't read it, I didn't realize
that the article wasn't talking about UNIX but about Windows 95.
Anyway one can now set up their own video editing studio by purchasing
a kit from Matrox Graphics Inc. which includes both the hardware and
software for $360. Inputs can come from DVD, VCR, video camera and
AVI or MPEG files. Once the video data is on the computer, one can
edit it to create their own video presentation. Of course one can then
e-mail it and the recipient can use their computer with a video capture
card to view it on their monitor. I would suggest adding the following
questions.

*Being able to use your computer to manipulate and edit audio and video
media.

*Being able to view TV on your computer monitor.

I guess I keep harping on these things because in my opinion current
Window users are not likely to switch to Linux. For the most part they're
getting along. The switch is most likely when they go to new technology.
If these emerging technologies only exist under Windows, they have no
choice but  to go with Windows. That is why I believe it is crucial to
understand what is important to users in this area.

From the original draft III post

!* multi-terminal support (multiple keyboards and monitors can be used
!  at the same time on the computer)
![somebody want to explain 'terminal better than that? that's not a very
!good description...]
!  [was multiterminal support]

I think I started this one. My first thought was about what is known as
multiheaded, that is, support for multiple monitors. I just read it this past
week. I believe X-Windows will support up to 8 monitors and MS Windows
up to 9 monitors. Berlin will also be multiheaded. Then I thought, well, USB
will support multiple keyboards and mice, so why not put this all together
and create a multiterminal computer. Real advantage for Linux since
multiple users could easily be running different programs. Cost savings
for schools since up to eight students could use the same computer. I also
thought about our home business and how nice this would be to run two
terminals off the same computer. When we get the third computer, which
should be anytime now, I am going to try this. Anyway, perhaps, for now
it would be better to break the question into two as  follows:

*Is it important for you to be able to use multiple monitors with your
computer.

*Is it important for you to be able to use multiple keyboards and mice with
your computer.

Bob