Re: demographics draft

I have some time tonight and thought I would try and see if I could
be helpful. Unfortunately I've got more questions than answers.
It appears that the terms need to be defined. Don't think I've been
too helpful.

<< Subj:	 demographics draft
> Date:	98-07-17 18:54:53 EDT
> From:	arma@mit.edu (Roger Dingledine)

> Most of the questions I've introduced need rewording because I haven't
> considered wording, but I think this is a good start. Comments and
> additions very much wanted. It would be especially nice if somebody
> would sort out the list of professions that we're going to use, because
> I have no idea what I'm doing there.

 <snip>

> Some questions in this section will be different depending on the user-type
> answering the questions (home or large business)

> Home: How many computers does your household have? 0 1 2 3 4 5+

Does household computers include home business computers. The
computer I'm presently using belongs to a home business. In other
words our household has two computers both belonging and primarily
used in a home business. I already see how complex this can get.
Since there is more work than two people can do, work is farmed
out to other people to do on their home computer. Now what do their
computers become home or business. Also different people come in
here and do work on the computer as well as take work home to do.
Also somebody brings their own laptop and does work here.

> Business: How many computers do you personally have? 0 1 2 3 4 5+

Does this mean
How many computers do you use at work or
How many computers does your business have.

> Home: How many people use it/them?

Does 'how many' include people outside the household or just people in
the household. Also what does household mean. We're working out of
two houses.

> [urg. this pronoun thing is going to get obnoxious]

> Is it technically sufficient? (Fast enough, enough drive space, etc)
> Is it peoply sufficient? (would it be nice if you had another so more people
> can work at the same time?)

>> - do multiple people use this system?  At same time/ w/o logging out?
>> - do you have a computer network? (Opens option for NCs or terminals)

> good

>> - is user privacy important (one user can't read another's stuff)
>> - is user security important (one user can't change another's
>>      files/settings)

> these two questions are moot, they're in the later section

>> - do you have access to tech support/skilled users
>> - current eval of tech support issues

> Usefulness of tech support: useless [] [] [] [] very useful   [] not
available
> Usefulness of skilled users: (same scale)

 Bob