Initial survey discussions

The following are some email conversations so far with some good ideas and
suggestions.  Feel free to discuss anything in here.

From: virtanen <hvirtane@cc.jyu.fi>
Date: Tue, 9 Jun 1998 20:59:54 +0300 (EET DST)
To: Roger Dingledine <arma@seul.org>
Subject: Re: SEUL end-user survey?

On Thu, 4 Jun 1998, Roger Dingledine wrote:
> Do you happen to know anything about survey techniques? I'm very interested
> in coming up with a large survey that would figure out once and for all what
> end-users wanted in an OS. If it was well-written, I could probably get several
> thousand people to fill it out in the space of a week. That would be absolutely
> invaluable to the Linux community at this stage.

I think that one big problem is that
people don't care or even know so much about OSs but applications!
It is difficult to get knowledge what people wanted in an OS, because they
don't so much realize the whole thing...

The real work with (micro)computers is done nowadays by using huge
applications, which run about the same way on different OSs like macOS,
Win or Linux. I mean for example Wordperfect or Freehand or the like...?

OS is there mainly to combine applications uniformly together...

For example win3 was an attempt to put together some basic applications
like write, paintbrush, calendar, notepad etc, which looked similar and
could combine data from each other. The problem with win3 or win95 is
that the 'applications' which come with the OS itself aren't powerful
enough for real work, but kids' play only. I've never seen anyone to write
something serious with write... all the people buy a real wordprocessor
like word, wordperfect etc. But you can anyway get an idea, what is
possible with the real applications by trying the toy-applications of win.

In that way seul could perhaps be something similar as the idea of win3,
but with *real* applications, which could be used for real work... The
applications should work or look somehow similar so that if you learn the
basics, you could work with any of them on basic level...

So, actually in my opinion we needed knowledge, what people do with their
computers and what they wanted to do. Better not to ask what the people
want in an OS nut what they want in an hd... For example this old macOS
here is OK as long as it doesn't crash and I'm *able to switch easily
between web-browser, wordprocessor, e-mail etc*... the OS is OK as long as
you don't notice it at all!?

> I'm looking for perhaps three people to get together and work on it. I've
> identified a couple of other people who might be useful, but I haven't yet
> written the mail describing exactly what I want to see; I'm just probing for
> interest at this point. :)

But how to do the survey? In what way do you think to ask the questions?

We might perhaps put together a primary seul with a kernel, gui, and basic
applications like server, web-browser, wordprocessor, drawing-program, ...
what more? Make it an easy to install packet and working as well as -
win95 or better and distribute that free some time and ask then what more
people want...
The installation should perhaps be with using a webbrowser saving files
directly on the hd...
It should be able to make the necessary partitions and installation
just by invoking one command... Install!
There could be for example a system of 'toy-applications' for the people,
who dont have much space on hd, 'real-applications-system for others...
Put them available in various places in web...

I mean that the first distribution for the survey could be done by using
the net. The survey could be done by asking the people who installed the
systems, what they think about it? If they could do with that the same
things they in general want to do with a computer...

> Some URLs to look at:
>
> http://www.linux.or.jp/~pjotr/mc-doc/results.html
> http://aachen.heimat.de/alug/fragebogen2/
>
> a good example of survey/results format (though not our kind of survey):
> http://www.isdmag.com/Surveys/Linux.html
>
> The beginnings of a description of what I want are under the 'Market
> Research' heading of www.seul.org/seg/
>
> Please let me know if this sounds interesting to you.
>
> Thanks,
> --Roger

Just checked URLs. It seems to work somehow. But it seems that we really
need to get people to use linux somehow to get the knowledge what they
want?

virtanen

Ok, I'm going to put you on the seul-research list, which is slowly
accumulating people interested in the survey idea. I'm busy for the
next day or two, but then I'll try to start discussion going in the
right direction. Do you mind if I forward your response here to the
list, once it has people on it? (I expect about a half dozen people
on it, currently.)

In message <Pine.SOL.3.96.980609191018.27914A-100000@kanto.cc.jyu.fi>, hvirtane@cc.jyu.fi writes:
>On Thu, 4 Jun 1998, Roger Dingledine wrote:
>
>> Do you happen to know anything about survey techniques? I'm very interested
>> in coming up with a large survey that would figure out once and for all what
>> end-users wanted in an OS. If it was well-written, I could probably get seve
>ral
>> thousand people to fill it out in the space of a week. That would be absolut
>ely
>> invaluable to the Linux community at this stage.
>
>I think that one big problem is that
>people don't care or even know so much about OSs but applications!
>It is difficult to get knowledge what people wanted in an OS, because they
>don't so much realize the whole thing...

True. I guess I misworded that -- the trick is to figure out what questions
we have to ask, and how to ask them, so we can get to the information
we really need. I guess instead of 'OS' I should have said 'operating
environment'. What do they want to do, how do they want to do it, how do
they want it to work, etc.

>The real work with (micro)computers is done nowadays by using huge
>applications, which run about the same way on different OSs like macOS,
>Win or Linux. I mean for example Wordperfect or Freehand or the like...?
>
>OS is there mainly to combine applications uniformly together...
>
>For example win3 was an attempt to put together some basic applications
>like write, paintbrush, calendar, notepad etc, which looked similar and
>could combine data from each other. The problem with win3 or win95 is
>that the 'applications' which come with the OS itself aren't powerful
>enough for real work, but kids' play only. I've never seen anyone to write
>something serious with write... all the people buy a real wordprocessor
>like word, wordperfect etc. But you can anyway get an idea, what is
>possible with the real applications by trying the toy-applications of win.
>
>In that way seul could perhaps be something similar as the idea of win3,
>but with *real* applications, which could be used for real work... The
>applications should work or look somehow similar so that if you learn the
>basics, you could work with any of them on basic level...
>
>So, actually in my opinion we needed knowledge, what people do with their
>computers and what they wanted to do. Better not to ask what the people
>want in an OS nut what they want in an hd... For example this old macOS
>here is OK as long as it doesn't crash and I'm *able to switch easily
>between web-browser, wordprocessor, e-mail etc*... the OS is OK as long as
>you don't notice it at all!?

yes, exactly

>> I'm looking for perhaps three people to get together and work on it. I've
>> identified a couple of other people who might be useful, but I haven't yet
>> written the mail describing exactly what I want to see; I'm just probing for
>> interest at this point. :)
>>

>But how to do the survey? In what way do you think to ask the questions?
>
>We might perhaps put together a primary seul with a kernel, gui, and basic
>applications like server, web-browser, wordprocessor, drawing-program, ...
>what more? Make it an easy to install packet and working as well as -
>win95 or better and distribute that free some time and ask then what more
>people want...

There are currently a couple of projects out there that are starting to
work on this. Seul isn't working towards a distribution right now, but
instead we're working closely with projects like Independence and Freelinux
to let them make a distribution happen, while working on advocacy and
research things on the side to help the spread of information.

>The installation should perhaps be with using a webbrowser saving files
>directly on the hd...
>It should be able to make the necessary partitions and installation
>just by invoking one command... Install!
>There could be for example a system of 'toy-applications' for the people,
>who dont have much space on hd, 'real-applications-system for others...
>Put them available in various places in web...
>
>I mean that the first distribution for the survey could be done by using
>the net. The survey could be done by asking the people who installed the
>systems, what they think about it? If they could do with that the same
>things they in general want to do with a computer...

It's true. I think that if we develop a good survey, we can both put
it out now for initial comments, and then try to bundle it with other
linux distributions (hey, we could even tailor it to redhat and convince
redhat to put it on their site, tailor it to debian and convince debian
to put it on their site, etc.) But while we should keep in mind as we're
writing it how we might deploy the survey, we shouldn't focus on that
until we've actually got something started. :)

>> Some URLs to look at:
>>
>> http://www.linux.or.jp/~pjotr/mc-doc/results.html
>> http://aachen.heimat.de/alug/fragebogen2/
>>
>> a good example of survey/results format (though not our kind of survey):
>> http://www.isdmag.com/Surveys/Linux.html
>>
>> The beginnings of a description of what I want are under the 'Market
>> Research' heading of www.seul.org/seg/
>>
>> Please let me know if this sounds interesting to you.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> --Roger
>
>Just checked URLs. It seems to work somehow. But it seems that we really
>need to get people to use linux somehow to get the knowledge what they
>want?

Well, we don't really need to focus on linux entirely -- there is plenty
of information we can get from current windows and mac users about how
successful their os really is at doing what they want.

But that presents a much more difficult problem of survey distribution --
it's really tough to get the survey to the end-users themselves, since they
don't live on newsgroups and monitor mailing lists.

>virtanen

--Roger