Re: Doc update, 0x020 update summary

Pete,
The thought struck me that perhaps we should put the software section
on seul-pub to see if we could get more ideas. Anyway I've added to
the software part and listed a few features. On a lot of the software, it's
hard to list features, since I've never used the software, althought there
is a lot I'd like to, like video editing. I will be thinking about it and
looking
around. Anyway here's what I've come up with so far.

   - Office productivity
          - Word processing
                  What about web editing (HTML editing). I don't know where
                  I saw this but noted it: "Soon you will see all the major
office
                  software suites standardizing on HTML (and an extension
                  called XML) for documents. Also speech is getting more and
                  more integrated with word processing.
          - Desktop publishing
          - Audio/Video editing (tools)
          - Spreadsheets
          - Databases
          - Scheduling
   - Financial
          - Banking (checking, online banking)
          - Accounting (accounts receivable/payable, inventory, payroll)
          - POS (point of sale)
          - Stock market analysis/simulator
   - Internet
          - Email
                   speech input: I can't even log on to AOL without being hit
                   with an advertisement asking if I would like to talk to my
                   computer.
          - Web browsing
          - e-commerce
   - Software development
          - compilers
   - Engineering
                  Features one would want inculded:
                  support for graphics display
                  output for numerically controlled machines
                  output for plotting devices
                  of course standard data formats
          - CAD
          - Analysis (structural, vibration, earthquake)
   - Server
          - mail
          - wed
          - print
          - file
          - data mining
          - telephony
   - Speciality
          - music (midi)
          - photo
          - film
   - Educational
          - vocabulary (pronunciation)
          - dictionary
          - encycopedia
          - atlas
          - how things work
          - reading/writting/arithmetic
          - math/science
          - history/geography
   - Games
   - Audio/Video processing (media streaming technology)

  - Which one of the above would you say you use most often?
  - Choose all of the above that you use on a regular basis
  - Do you think you would use more powerful software than what you use
  now if it were available?

  How important are the following word processing features to your work:
      - ability to read other word processing formats
      - settings tabs easily
      - spell checking
      - using many different typefaces and font sizes
      - mail merge
      - WYSIWYG
      - macros
  How important are the following desktop publishing features to your
  work:
      - ability to read other desktop publishing formats
      - importing images
      - using many different typefaces and font sizes
      - WYSIWYG
  How important are the following spreadsheet features to your work:
      - ability to read other spreadsheet formats
      - linking a formula to other cells (relative addressing)
      - locking a formula to the contents of specific cells (absolute
  addressing, ie. $E$5)
      - having a formula bar to troubleshoot complicated formulas
      - predefined formulas (statistical, financial, or mathematical)
      - WYSIWYG
      - macros
  How important are the following database features to your work:
      - Query by example (QBE) grid for creating queries
      - data import macros
      - WYSIWYG
      - being able to write SQL queries easily
      - data export macros

 Bob