Re: looking at the survey (UI)

May I interject something here, too, that the survey seems to fail to ask:
I am mearly a user, know, nor care one bit for compiling or programming.
But we are talking of an operating system, one of many.  We buy our
machines off the shelf, fully functional, so we think.  It is the same as
when we are lucky enough to buy a new car or home theater, we expect to
turn it on and it works and we can go where we want, with a little drivers
training, of course, or by tuning into the right program or inserting the
right CD disk in the sound system.  So why is it that when our commputer
gives us error messages such as: "this program has performed an illegel act
and will be shut down." that we have no choice but shut down and hope we
can get it going again.  That is exactly what happens with teh most used
operating system.  It took me years and lots fo money to find out that it
was my operating system, not me or the application I was using (the
application being an engineering program.

I will need to still run these engineering programs and they are not
written for LINUX, and so far, dont know how to make them do so, until WINE
is ready.  And please dont say that there is a like program in LINUX, that
does not fly with my clients.  They tell me what program I must use, which
means, I use that program (in my case, Autocad 13/14) and not another
"like" program (like intergraph or DesignCAD).  Also, the learning curve
for all these programs and operating systems is costing industry millions a
month just to train their ppl to use them, and much more just to hire techs
to keep the systems running right and ansering our questions.

For use, we expect an operating system to do just that, OPERATE, and
regardless of the brand  of gasoline we use or the route to aunt millies
house.  Or regardless of which TV station we wish to watch, or which type
of music we like, the operating system must work or we are very unhappy and
do have the right to demand our money back for all but the computer's
operating system......Let's hope the government wins their case, the entire
industry depends on it....