[seul-sci] RPM/DEB repository of scientific software?

With the recent discussion about the creation of a scientific distro, a few
of us have talked about the need for packages (RPM and DEB) for existing
scientific software.

Thus far, it seems like most existing software is only available in source
form. While this presents little problem for experience Linux users and Unix
users in general, the work needed to compile a program often seems daunting
to new users.

To this end, I propose that, before thinking seriously about creating a
scientific Linux distribution, seul-sci should focus on (a) finding apps in
need of packaging, and (b) creating the packages themselves and them making
them available here at SEUL and elsewhere.

Once we have a list of packages ready, then it's easier to evaluate whether
or not a scientific distro is appropriate (especially if the RedHats and
Debians of the world will include the packages in their own distros)

I'll be putting up a page on the sci site in the next few days to hold this
list. Those interested in creating the packages or teaching others how to
make packages are welcome to pitch in.

Cheers,

Pete

--