[seul-sci] For comments: .DOC

Hello people!

	We've had a thread on some aspects of using Linux in a production environment some weeks ago. This time I have a new problem: File interchange.
	Next week, we're going to have a National Ceramics Congress here in Brazil. Perhaps some of you have guessed my problem. Papers in Word format only. Once we have started the change to Linux using StarOffice - wich runs on both platforms - we have a problem.
	StarOffice writes Word documents, but it does not necessarily means it does it well. Some quite strange things happen to some documents.
	My question is: Do you also have this problem? Which are your workarounds? How can we solve it?
	I'm sure certain areas are more advanced in this point(most Physics journals require LaTEX documents, for example). However, this is not my case.
	I thought the best way to avoid this sort of thing would be writing a 'standard' letter describing the problem with this MSDOC aproach to document interchange. This letter should be located in a well known, fixed location(SEUL?  a new domain?), and people over the internet would point to it.
	It could be a good beggining. Perhaps future work on a XML DTD to scientific articles would also be nice, since most journals have their own lay-out. It would make an easily indexed, standard, well known interchange document format.

	On the other hand, if it is a problem specific to Brazil, just telling the organizers they are the only people in the world to do it should help ;-).

Regards,

DANILO GONZALEZ HASHIMOTO

Universidade Federal de São Carlos
Bacharelado em Ciência da Computação