RE: [seul-sci] For comments: .DOC

On 16 May, Danilo Gonzalez Hashimoto wrote:
> Thanks Nels. Really enlightening coments.
>
> 	Sure it has some concerns. I don't know about any cross-platform
> easy of use WYSIWYG LaTEX editor(do you?).
> Besides, I don't know how easy is it to edit our .PDF files,
> to put it into the proceedings, in a standard way.
> 	It's all about Simple End User Linux, at all.

LyX IS cross platform, ie, Linux and Windows, although I have not tried
 the Windows port ( see http://www.lyx.org/news.php3#item2 and links
 therein ).

LyX is very easy to use and almost WYSIWIG.

LyX and LaTeX can make PDF files with the dvipdf command. I do not know
of any PDF editor/importer though!! They tell me here that Acrobat
Writer con do this (it is not free).

> 	Anyway, it will be a good solution, as soon as we are using linux on every machine
> here in the lab, with LyX.
> 	The CD could have a .HTML index of the papers, or a
>  flash presentation, etc. I will work on it to the next congress.
>
> 	In addition, I've received support from my chiefs to write a brief
>       letter about adoption of open/variate document formats, wich they will be
>     supporting in the Congress and other events. (kinda "Why using PS/PDF/SDW also?" or
>     "Why not just .DOC?").

This is a difficult question. Read my last message to the list about
different formats to get a bit of an overlook.

In the good old days, papers had to be presented in LaTeX. I still
think this is the best way to go right now, it is easy to use,
multiplatform, free, open, etc... Unfortunately you will probably find
oposition from WYSIWIG or MS Word users.

Using LyX is also a problem since people will have to install this
program on their machines. It is also multiplatform, free, open, etc..
Again, it depends how much you can enforce this.

Probably the best solution is to use a mixed solution.
Make a Word document as an example.
Do the same with LyX so they look very much alike.
Then you can convert from Word to PDF (I really don't know
very well how but I think they do it with Acrobat Writer which is not
free, then they print a PostScript file from Word and then with the
Acrobat Writer convert it to PDF) and you can convert from LyX to PDF
with the dvipdf command.
So you would end up with a bunch of PDF files.

Hope this helps!!!

Xavier Calbet