Re: [tor-relays] Towards a Tor Node Best Best Practices Document

Thus spake Fabian Keil (freebsd-listen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx):

> > Attack Vector #2: Advanced Persistent Threat Key Theft

> I assume "your" APT is somehow less capable then "my" APT,
> but without knowing your definition I can't really tell
> if the proposed defenses are effective against it.
>
> Adding your definition to the document would help, but personally
> I would prefer it if the term APT wouldn't be used at all.

I thought I did in the very next paragraphs?

> > If one-time methods fail or are beyond reach, the adversary has to
> > resort to persistent machine compromise to retain access to node key
> > material.
> >
> > The APT attacker can use the same vector as #1 or perhaps an external
> > vector such as daemon compromise, but they then must also plant a
> > backdoor that would do something like trawl through the RAM of a
> > machine, sniff out the keys (perhaps even grabbing the ephemeral TLS
> > keys directly), and transmit them offsite for collection.
> >
> > This is a significantly more expensive position for the adversary to
> > maintain, because it is possible to notice upon a thorough forensic
> > investigation during a perhaps unrelated incident, and it may trigger
> > firewall warnings or other common least privilege defense alarms
> > inadvertently.
>
> I think this attack would be a lot more expensive than motivating
> the right Debian developers to compromise a significant part of
> the interesting Tor relays the next time they get updated.
>
> This attack would not only be harder to defend against, it also
> sounds cool if we call it the apt(8)-based APT attack.
>
> "My" APT could do that, but I assume "yours" can't?

Hrmm. More accurately, your "apt APT" is not an attack against Tor, it's
an attack against Debian. I classify that as out of scope. Similarly,
attacks against Intel are also out of scope (even though they are quite
possible and are even more terrifying). It's simply not our job to
defend against them.

> > Defenses
> >
> > It seems clear that the above indicates that at minimum relays should
> > protect against one-time key compromise. Some further thought shows that
> > it is possible to make the APT adversary's task harder as well, albeit
> > with significantly more effort.
>
> That's not clear to me at all. Are you saying that a relay operator
> who doesn't want to follow the "minimum" best practices document
> (once it exists) shouldn't be running a relay (or at least be embarrassed)?

Note the "should". My claim is that it's clear following from the
motivations of the attacker that ephemeral keys are the minimum defense
one could take against one-time key theft. They are the simplest thing
you can do, and they do secure against that class of attacker.

> > Once you start your tor process(es), you will want to copy your identity
> > key offsite, and then remove it. Tor does not need it to remain on disk
> > after startup, and removing it ensures that an attacker must deploy a
> > kernel exploit to obtain it from memory. While you should not re-use the
> > identity key after unexplained reboots, you may want to retain a copy
> > for planned reboots and tor maintenance.
>
> How often can a relay regenerate the identity key without
> becoming a burden to the network?
>
> I reused the identity keys after unexplained reboots in the past
> as I assumed the cost of a new key (unknown to me) would be higher
> than the cost of a compromise (unknown) multiplied by the likelihood
> of the occurrence (also unknown to me, but estimated to be rather low
> compared to other possible reboot causes).
>
> In cases where a reboot is assumed to have been caused by a
> system compromise, I wouldn't consider merely regenerating the
> key without re-installing the whole system from known-good media
> "best practice" anyway.

You're failing to see the distinction made between adversaries, which
was the entire point of the motivating section of the document. Rekeying
*will* thwart some adversaries.

> > Ok, that's it. What do people think? Personally, I think that if we can
> > require a kernel exploit and/or weird memory gymnastics for key
> > compromise, that would be a *huge* improvement. Do the above
> > recommendations actually accomplish that?
>
> Are "weird memory gymnastics" really that much more effort
> than getting the relevant keys through ptrace directly?

If they require a kernel exploit to perform, absolutely. If there are
memory tricks root can perform without a kernel exploit, we should see
if we can enumerate them so as to develop countermeasures.

> I suspect getting the keys through either mechanism might be
> trivial compared to getting the infrastructure in place to use
> the keys for a non-theoretical attack that is cost-effective.

The infrastructure is already there for other reasons. See for example,
the CALEA broadband intercept enhancements of 2007 in the USA. Those can
absolutely be used to target specific Tor users and completely
transparently deanonymize their Tor traffic today, with one-time key
theft (via NSL subpoena) of Guard node keys.

> I think your proposed measures might be useful for a relay
> operator with a compatible system who is interested in spending
> more time on his relay's security than he already is.
>
> It's not clear to me, though, that they improve the security
> of the Tor network significantly enough to be worth requiring
> them or even calling them best practices (which could demotivate
> operators who can't or don't want to implement them).

Did I fail to motivate the defenses? In what way can we establish "more
realistic" best practice defenses that are grounded in real attack
scenarios and ordered by attack cost vs defense cost? I thought I had
accomplished that...

> Trying to require the steps or shaming operators into following
> them might reduce the number of relay operators (or limit their
> growth) significantly enough to make the attacks you seem to be
> concerned about cheaper ...
>
> Having said that, I don't see anything wrong with putting your
> suggestions in a section that starts with a paragraph like:
>
> | Here are a couple of things you could do to improve your
> | relay's security some more. Whether or not you consider
> | them worthwhile is up to you and if you decide against some
> | or all of them or if they don't work on your system, your
> | relay is still appreciated.

Ok, yes, I have no intention of making anything mandatory. It's not
really possible anyways, and heterogeneity probably trumps it.

For the paragraphs I've trimmed, assume I more or less agree with your
statements.

--
Mike Perry