Re: [tor-relays] Reading check.torproject

> On 18 Apr 2016, at 14:14, eliaz <eliaz@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> In looking at the check.torproject.org page on the browser/machine that
> runs my bridge, I'm used to seeing the same IP address a.b.c.d on the
> check page ("Your IP address appears to be: a.b.c.d") as in the exit on
> the path drop-down. But today for several hours a.b.c.d showed on the
> drop-down but a different address w.x.y.z appeared on the page. Opening
> up atlas gave a "no results" error until I entered a.b.c.d manually; and
> w.x.y.z was no tor node; it turned out to belong to a VPN provider which
> was also poking my ports. Is this discrepancy normal? Should be worried
> about it? - eliaz

This sounds like it could be a bad exit redirecting all your traffic through a VPN, while trying to attack you.
It's somewhat less likely to be a misconfiguration of the proxy settings on your bridge.

It's normal for tor to change exits occasionally.
Do you know which exit your tor client was actually using during that time?
If so, report it to bad-relays@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Tim

Tim Wilson-Brown (teor)

teor2345 at gmail dot com