Re: [tor-relays] Search warrant and house search because of an exit in DE

Moritz; alwaysÂthe voice of reason.

MATVOR.

-V

On Sunday, 1 May 2016, Moritz Bartl <moritz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 04/30/2016 08:15 PM, dan wrote:
>Â Â ÂSorry to hear that. We're already in contact, but just for the record: I
>Â Â Âthink there's the fast option here, you unlock it and let them search
>Â Â Âit, or,
> Kind of surprised that you are suggesting to give a way the encryption
> passphrase.

No, I did not. I merely outlined the options. Do not confuse listing
options with suggestions, and do not confuse suggestions with what
people would do personally themselves.

Also, there's a clear difference between unlocking it and demonstrating
that the files are not on that computer without letting them touch it,
unlocking it and let them search it while you're present, unlocking it
and let them take a copy of all the data, or giving out the passphrase.
Those are all distinct things.

Maybe it is simply too crazy for many jurisdictions to believe, but
police in Germany in most cases actually treats you well and is not your
enemy. There's no point in turning every occasion into a combat just for
the sake of it. I've spoken to spriver, and it looks like they will be
satisfied if spriver unlocks the laptop and shows them that the files
cannot be found in a filename search conducted by himself. If spriver is
comfortable doing that, and the objective here is to get the laptop back
quickly, it is not for me to decide and condemn that choice. Actually, I
think it is fairly reasonable.

But, yes, as with any person that has a computer, I recommend up-to-date
offsite backups. Then, you might lean towards the other reasonable
option, which is to simply state the facts and demand the hardware back.
There's so many things that can happen with your machines, especially
when it's a laptop, there is no reason not to have good backups.

--
Moritz Bartl
https://www.torservers.net/