Re: [tor-relays] experiences with debian tor 0.2.8.6 package from deb.torproject.org

On August 3, 2016 at 11:04 PM Green Dream <greendream848@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> When upgrading, all running tor instances are stopped (not restarted, as expected)

> syslog shows:

> Interrupt: we have stopped accepting new connections, and will shut down in 30 seconds. Interrupt again to exit now.

> Clean shutdown finished. Exiting.

> (problem is reproducible)

I just had the same experience upgrading my relays, but I think this is to be expected? New connections are blocked and there's 30 seconds to give existing connections a chance to gracefully complete. The daemon is then stopped while the packages upgrade, then it's restarted. I think it's been handled like that for a while, although my memory is a little fuzzy since I hadn't upgraded in the last 6 months.

Well if your tor instance started again automatically after the upgrade then you didn't experience the same problem as I did, because it did NOT restart it simply stopped without starting again at all.

I expected it to restart (as it did during previous updates).