Re: [tor-relays] Relay uptime versus outdated Tor version

In theory hot-patching kernels is a great idea.

However, they're technically not loading a new kernel. Something like kexec in theory lets one load a new kernel.

Furthermore, these hot-patching programs usually only support Linux. If we want to increase the diversity of the Tor network, as we most certainly should, then we need more BSD relays, so these hot-patching programs don't cut it.

It's also worth remembering that there are miscellaneous other services and system components that aren't necessarily reloaded by a new kernel. If the C standard library got an update, it's not possible to hot patch that.

Just restart it. It takes a few minutes, it's actually guaranteed to work unlike dubious hot-patching programs.

Keepyourprivacy:
Wouldn‘t something like KernelCare help which patches the kernel
without the need to reboot?