Re: [tor-relays] Platform diversity in Tor network [was: OpenBSD doc/TUNING]

On 2014-12-16 12:05, teor wrote:

From: Richard Johnson <rdump@xxxxxxxxx>
Modify /etc/tor/torrc2, /etc/tor/torrc3, ... so they refer to their
appropriate private DataDirectory and PidFile, listen on the appropriate
ports and IP addresses, and have the appropriate exit policies. (Remember
that the public Tor network will by design ignore more than two relays per
IP address.)
     DataDirectory /var/tor2
     PidFile /var/tor2/pid
     ControlPort 9222
     Address 10.2.2.2
     ORPort 8222
     DirPort 7222
     DataDirectory /var/tor3
     PidFile /var/tor3/pid
     ControlPort 9333
     Address 10.3.3.3
     ORPort 8333
     DirPort 7222

Why give advice on "tor3" when the current consensus parameter for limit per IP is 2?
In case someone has an extra IP?
Or are you hoping we will increase the consensus parameter to 3?

Yes, the example actually uses a unique IP for each relay, and mentions the current 2 relays per IP limit.

I could revive that suggestion, by the way - it stalled as trac #13414 due to concerns with making sybils easier.

Maybe we could try for 3 per IP?

I don't know enough about potential sybil attacks to advise one way or the other there.

Richard