From: tor-relays [mailto:tor-relays-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Michael Armbruster
Sent: Saturday, December 03, 2016 2:10 PM
To: tor-relays@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [tor-relays] Outgoing Connections to middle nodes?

On 2016-12-03 at 12:56, balbea16 wrote:
> Hi There,
> I've got a quick question. I have been running a tor relay since 3
> months. I don't have a guard flag, however many outgoing connections
> to non exit relays  (i.e. that should be middles than). Does that mean
> I run an entry node  (without having guard status)? How come?
> TNX Mike

Hi Mike,

you forget about hidden services IN the Tor network. Not every connection tries to connect to domains or services outside the Tor network.

So it could be that you are a middle relay having many outgoing connections to so-called rendezvous points.

Have a look at this sentence here from [1]:
"In general, the complete connection between client and hidden service consists of 6 relays: 3 of them were picked by the client with the third being the rendezvous point and the other 3 were picked by the hidden service."

Best,
Michael

[1] https://www.torproject.org/docs/hidden-services.html.en