Re: [tor-relays] Second relay on same ESX

Well, I have 100MB guaranteed to the internet and a 1 GIG NIC, the VM CPU is used at 40% (average)
I guess I will fire a second VM and see what the total bandwidth result is...

Hello,

Thanks for running relays.

Patrick DERWAEL wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I'm running a relay in a VM on a physical server which is largely under used
> Current advertised bandwidth 26MB, consensus 76500
> I'm considering running a second relay (2nd VM) on the very same
> hardware, but this brings a few questions:
>
> - is there any issue running it at the same geographical place?

It desirable to have geographical diversity of course, but running two
in the same place to increase capacity doesn't do any harm. Just don't
forget to configure MyFamily in both torrcs so that the relays are
linked together as belonging to the same family.

> - would the current total BW effectively consumed (26MB) be divided in 2
> (i.e. no added value in BW)?

This depends on a lot of things. If your network port can handle more
than 26MB, and the limit of 26 MB observed on the first relay comes from
CPU/RAM, the 26 MB will not be divided but increased. If the first relay
has underused CPU / RAM this means the 26 MB is a limitation that comes
from the network port speed, and in this case it will be obviously divided.

> - basically, would it have any significant added value to the network?
>
> Thanks

Yes, if the bandwidth grows. If the 26 MB is divided in two, it's easier
and better to run a single one of 26 MB (save space in descriptors
distributed network wide, have a single box to maintain and keep up to
date, etc.)

Patrick Derwael
Rue de la fontaine, 3
4210 Burdinne