Re: [tor-relays] Tor relay from home - end of experiment?

On 14 December 2016 at 11:42, Andreas Krey <a.krey@xxxxxx> wrote:
On Wed, 14 Dec 2016 21:43:28 +0000, teor wrote:
> The bwauth calculations do take latency into account, and they should:
> if CPU usage or bandwidth are near their limit, the latency through the
> relay will be high.

I stand corrected.

I observed my relays (a few years ago) to often run into the bandwidth limit,
aka 'flatlining', and this having latency. I then started to set lower
advertised bandwidth, and this went away. Problem here is that these are
short-term event in relation to the bandwidth probes, so the probing
can't really control this.

> This has the drawback that relays located away from the US/Western
> Europe get poor scores.

What kind of latencies are we talking about here? And how much
latency makes up for what bandwidth?

Looking at https://atlas.torproject.org/#details/707A9A3358E0D8653089AF32A097570A96400CC6 it has a latency like I would expect and not worse than most users in EU so latency doesn't seem to really be the problem:

65ms from London
200ms from US west coast
300ms from Japan

Using the same IPs my best relay (at home) with a consensus weight of 62400 and 20MB/s advertised bandwidth has:

5ms from London
120ms from US west coast
220ms from Japan