Re: [tor-relays] Report of home relay experience (cont'd)

Hey,

I remember Raspberry Pi 1 + 2 are not really friendly with AES because of CPU limitation.
And RPi 3 is better for this...

For lazy guyz, here are Atlas links about the 2 relays :
https://atlas.torproject.org/#details/31B8C4C4F1C78F923BD906769297B15A428C4A04
https://atlas.torproject.org/#details/707A9A3358E0D8653089AF32A097570A96400CC6

For new relays, it's always good to wait for consensus growing, so it will be more used in the future... may be some weeks needed.
I see current Raspbian Tor package :     Tor 0.2.5.12 on Linux
May be it can be better to compile a newer Tor package, by using source Tor repo ?

Add Tor repo in the RPi to have the source available (here is stable source) :
in the /etc/apt/source.list, you can add, then apt-get update :

#TOR stable - pour building from source
deb-src http://deb.torproject.org/torproject.org jessie main

I've made a script a moment ago for a RPi, located in my home folder :
nano tor-compil-source.sh

#!/bin/bash
# init
function pause(){
   read -p "$*"
}
mkdir ~/debian-packages
cd ~/debian-packages
rm * -R
apt-get source tor
cd tor-*
debuild -rfakeroot -uc -us
cd ..
pause 'Press [Enter] key to continue... Install TOR'
dpkg -i tor_*.deb tor-*.deb
exit 0
As you can see, the script is waiting for you to push a key before installing the new package... Why not, can be cool to watch log during set up,
on another console, or "tmux" window :
tail -f /var/log/tor/log
(or notice file... depend on what you set up in torrc file)

You can use your current fingerprint, relay name... only the packge will be updated.
(if I'm wrong, don't hesitate to burn me here !)

I hope it can help ;)